Wednesday, February 8, 2012

cooking club: Oreo cake bites


I had a bunch of friends ask where they could order the cake bites we served at Patrick and Ashlee's reception. Apparently they were amazingly delicious. I wouldn't know, I never got the time to taste one. Even more surprising, neither did Ashlee. And she helped make all 350 of them! She confessed she was on the LGN (look good naked) diet at the time. :) She cracks me up.



So, I convinced my new daughter-in-law (love saying that :)) to do a demo for our RS Cooking Club. At first she laughed because she said they were so simple to make they didn't need a demonstration. But that's what we love--simple and yummy. And chocolate. And samples to try. And just getting together to have a good time.

We had a "filled to capacity" crowd in my kitchen. Ashlee did a wonderful job. And yes, they were simple to make.


I don't know that I'd actually consider these "cake-y." The filling ingredients are Oreos and cream cheese, so they're more moist than a cake filling would be.



We placed a duo in mini red and white polka dot liners and packaged them in small cellophane bags. Then we tied them up with pink grosgrain ribbon. (I will forever love pink and red together.) They're the perfect little Valentine's goodie for the sisters we visit teach. Hope they make it that long (*wink*). The liners are from Wilton.

I get asked all the time how to tie a pretty knot. I just use a simple square knot--right over left, left over right. Give yourself plenty of ribbon to work with and then trim the excess off at an angle when you're done. Packaging always looks nicer when you don't scrimp on the ribbon.


Adding a sucker stick makes the perfect "cake pop" for the little (or big) ones. How darling would these be for a baby shower or any special occasion?

Here's the recipe Ashlee used:

OREO CAKE BITES
from the kitchen of: Ashlee McCrary
Yield: 30-35 bites

30 Oreo cookies (about 1 package)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 pkg. melting chocolate (I like Wilton brand)
2 squares vanilla almond bark

Using a food processor or placing cookies in a Ziploc bag, crush Oreos into a fine crumb. In mixer, combine softened cream cheese and Oreos. Mix until a soft dough forms. Chill in freezer 20-30 minutes or in fridge for an hour. Measure one tablespoon scoops and form into round balls. Place on wax paper on cookie sheet that will fit in freezer. Chill for 30-45 minutes until firm.

Melt chocolate, following directions on package.

Insert toothpick into frozen Oreo ball and dip in chocolate to cover. Let excess drip off, then place on cookie sheet covered with wax paper. When chocolate is no longer shiny, remove toothpick by twisting to leave only a very small hole. Fill hole with melted chocolate.

Melt almond bark, following package directions. Transfer to Ziploc bag. Make a very small cut in the corner of the bag. Drizzle back and forth over cake bites.

Store in airtight container in fridge.

Ashlee's Tips and Tricks:
  • Use only regular Oreos.
  • I prefer Wilton brand melting chocolates because they're made with real cocoa, instead of chocolate-flavored like other brands. (I've found them at Walmart in the craft department and at Joanne's.)
  • Don't be tempted to use regular chocolate chips to melt. They have a tendency to seize up and become lumpy. Melting chocolate is formulated for melting and dipping.
  • Make sure you measure when forming balls to make uniform cake bites. 
  • As dipping chocolate starts to cool, it will get thick and start to clump. Simply put back in microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power to thin again.
  • White almond bark can be found in the baking section of your grocery store.
Thanks, Ashlee!

3 comments:

  1. yours look very pretty! I've made lots of cake balls in my day, and I just can't seem to get the chocolate to not clump up and look smooth on the ball...must keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could say I'm an expert and was able to tell you why your chocolate clumps. :) Just have to say I really admire your photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long can u freeze the cake pops ??? Anyone know , bake sale not until next month

    ReplyDelete