Wednesday, December 30, 2009

baby, it's cold outside!

I can't believe how cold it is! Every time it's like this, I remind Lynn to check the job listings for St. George, Utah where it's hot, hot, hot three months of the year, but perfect weather the other nine months. I would love to be able to get out and walk and play every day. Unfortunately, there aren't many state jobs available there, so someone has to retire or die before one becomes available.

I spent a good portion of my day planted in front of the fireplace and have a big pot of taco soup simmering on the stove. It's one from my "family favorites" file. Those who know me well know I don't enjoy cooking, but I love good food. Truth be told, we eat out a lot (there are just the three of us and it's less expensive than cooking). But I do cook a few times a week, especially when I get tired of eating out. When I do, it's always a simple and mostly healthy recipe. I call this a "dump and dine" meal--dump in the ingredients and heat it up. My picky eater Ella loves it, unless she looks hard and discovers a green chile. Anything green is a "weed" and she won't eat weeds. So here's the recipe. I got it from my sister-in-law, Deanna. Seriously, couldn't be simpler.


 TACO SOUP

Saute in olive oil:
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. chopped garlic from a jar
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. oregano

Add:
3 cans chicken broth
1 can corn, drained
2 cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (I puree in blender so there are no chunks)
1 can diced chiles
3-4 small chicken breasts (or two large ones)

Let simmer 20-30 minutes. Serve with: avocado, grated cheese, tortilla chips and/or sour cream.

This is a great food storage recipe too. I have it on my three-month supply of ready-made meals list.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. How many cans of chicken do you put in for the food storage recipe? Three?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a few bags of frozen chicken breasts from Costco in my freezer, so I haven't used canned yet. If I did, yes, I'd use three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how many people does the recipe feed ?

    ReplyDelete